Marketers often underestimate the value of exit popups in ecommerce.
According to statistics however, 35% of lost visitors can be saved by exit intent offers. That’s a lot of potential customers, which could easily have been translated into actual sales if your ecommerce site was capable of tracking your visitors intention to leave the website and prevent them from bouncing off.
What you want is a mechanism to disrupt this normal visitor pattern—and that’s where exit popups come in. At that moment when your visitors are about to leave the site, you have an opportunity to change their mind by presenting an offer that incentivizes the desired action through exit popups.
Here are 5 reasons that will help you understand how and why exit popups actually work:
1. You’re giving customers a reason to stay
An exit popup gives you another chance to reach out to your visitor and push them further on your purchase funnel. Essentially, exit popups become a way for you to engage customers.
- Invite them to follow your social media profiles to get further updates.
- Ask them to subscribe to your email list so they can regularly receive news about your products or services.
- Pitch a discount or new offer if they complete their purchases now.
2. You’re communicating in a way that triggers an emotional response from visitors.
If you’ve written your exit popup copy well, you should know that will able to touch your visitors with your messages. This makes them more likely to act on what you’re saying.
Be sure that—
- You get to know your audience, so you can craft the perfect message that can resonates with your visitors.
- You learn everything you can about user behavior so that you know the best way to elicit a response.
- Use tools that will help you craft your messages better and track your metrics effectively.
3. You’re playing on their fear-of-missing-out
Before your visitors actually bounce of your site, an offer that entices them to stay could easily play on their fear of missing out on a good deal.
You could try—
- Presenting an exclusive, one-time only discount.
- Giving away freebies for signing up or completing a purchase.
- Providing exclusive access to unique content or downloadables.
The secret to effective exit popups is in the timing. The right mechanism means these offers are presented at a critical moment in the visitor’s interaction with your website, giving them opportunities to engage and offering them deals that they can’t refuse.
It’s important however to remember that you have to deliver on whatever it is you’re pitching to your users.
Keep the following in mind:
- Offer something that is of value to them and minimize their risks in exchange for, at least, their contact information.
- It has to be a good, legitimate offer that has little to no risk on the part of the customer.
- Deliver on your promise. You want people to recommend you and the only way you can ensure this is by making sure you’re doing the best for them.
If you want to learn the simplest but most effective way you can convert visitors into high value leads, get in touch with us today.
And if you have any questions about how popups can be used to improve your ecommerce site’s conversions leave a comment below.